CALLING ALL ENTREPRENEURS & DESIGNERS ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A PLATFORM TO TAKE YOUR PRODUCT TO A GLOBAL MARKET?
What do the following innovations have in common? The black box flight recorder, bionic ear, plastic bank notes, electronic pacemaker, winged keel, Google maps and spray on skin for burn victims? Apart from being significant inventions that have changed the world, each one of these innovations was created by Australians – proof that we have a whole lot of ingenious talents right here on homegrown soil.
But how do you get the world to stand up and take notice of your latest idea? If the retail industry is your target market, then your next big break could be just around the corner.
Introducing Innovation Pitchfest, an exciting initiative that provides designers the opportunity to expose Australian products to a global marketplace. Innovation Pitchfest is an international collaboration between European retail giant Tchibo Germany, Australian trade fair leader Reed Exhibitions and retail consultancy Nancy Georges, Magnolia Solutions.
The concept was launched at the Reed Gift Fairs and Life Instyle show in February 2015 and attracted substantial interest from innovators and designers alike, as talented Australian entrepreneurs pitched their ideas to a judging panel of industry experts in the hope of being named the Innovation PitchFest winner.
From 1-5 August 2015, Innovation PitchFest will be back at the Reed Gift Fairs Melbourne, providing entrants the opportunity for invaluable international promotion and manufacturing support, including exposure to the Tchibo global buying and manufacturing teams in Hong Kong, plus consideration for inclusion in Tchibo stores throughout Europe. According to Bastian Grafe, head of creative sourcing and cooperation for Tchibo Germany, Australian is an “untapped resource for product innovation and design.”
“We are delighted to once again be partnering with Tchibo and Magnolia Solutions to take Innovation PitchFest to the next level,” says Reed Exhibitions Group Director Sally de Swart. “The opportunity connect a well-respected global retail and manufacturer with innovative Australian wholesalers is a showcase of our commitment to retail development and our ongoing support of our industry.”
‘Innovation PitchFest is an exciting initiative to help support Australian businesses and expose them to the international marketplace,” adds Nancy Georges, The Retail Miss Fix-it, Magnolia Solutions. “No matter how innovative and strategic we are in Australia, our market and population remains limited. International markets exposure ensures local success and longevity.”
Winner of the Innovation Pitchfest launch event in February this year was Melbourne-based start-up OrbitKey, which provides a stylishly elegant and practical solution to everyday key carrying. “We believe that good design goes beyond the product alone,” says OrbitKey founder Charles Ng, “and winning the Innovation PitchFest competition earlier this year reinforced our philosophy about providing chic design solutions for practical everyday items.
“The opportunity to fly to Hong Kong to meet the Tchibo creative sourcing team and how they operate first hand was very eye opening. We also met the board members and directors to present our ideas and discuss how we can work together. One of the highlights from the trip was the retail safari organised by Tchibo, where we had the opportunity to visit many design and specialty shops that could potentially stock our products. We can’t wait to see the next line up of products and designers from the upcoming Innovation PitchFest event in August, it’s very exciting!”
One of the exciting additions to the upcoming Innovation PitchFest is the inclusion of entries from design students at an array of colleges such as COFA, Swinburn University, Enmore Design, UTS and the School of Colour & Design, just another way that Innovation Pitchfest recognises innovation and talent across all platforms and levels of expertise. Students in this category will compete for the inaugural IP Innovation Award.
CALLING ALL BUDDING ENTREPRENEURS, DESIGNERS & START UPS ENTRIES FOR INNOVATION PITCHFEST ARE NOW OPEN!
Innovation PitchFest will take place at the Reed Exhibitions Gift Fair from 1-5 August at ‘The Hub’, Melbourne Showgrounds, at 10:00am and 4:00pm daily.
Entrants will have the opportunity to ‘pitch’ their idea or design to a panel of experts.
Finalists will be selected from these series of pitches, with the winner being announced on Tuesday 5 August at 4pm.
For further information, imagery or interviews with entrants or representatives
from Tchibo, Reed Exhibitions or Magnolia Solutions, please contact
Jenny Burns on 0413 876 760 or email@example.com.
- Innovation PitchFest is an international collaboration between Tchibo Germany, Reed Exhibitions and Magnolia Solutions. The event will take place at the Reed Exhibitions Gift Fair from 1-5 August, 2015 at the ‘The Hub’, Melbourne Showgrounds, at 10:00am and 4:00pm daily. The Gift Fair is the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere.
- Tchibo Germany is one of Europe’s largest retail and café chains specialising in food and lifestyle products, household items, electronics and appliances. It has a substantial manufacturing plant in Hong Kong.
- Reed Exhibitions is the world’s leading organiser of trade and consumer exhibitions that span a wealth of manufacturing and retail industries.
- Magnolia Solutions is the brainchild of The Retail Miss Fix-It, consultant Nancy Georges, who has more than 25 years experience providing retail marketing solutions to small businesses and start-ups around Australia.
- Winner of the inaugural Innovation PitchFest event in February 2015 was OrbitKey. With runners up Runners up Little Urban Farms ‘Hanging Garden’ and Belly Art Baby Inkless Print Kit.
- Innovation PitchFest is proudly supported by partners Real Living and Australian Gift Guide.